Thursday, May 15, 2008

Victor Hugo exhibition in Lausanne

I saw a brochure announcing an exhibition of the art work of Victor Hugo. I thought to myself that it must have been a common name, until I realized that it was an exhibition of the work of the great writer himself. Now if was not known as a great writer, he would have been known a a great artist, as his work is that wonderful. I went off to the Hermitage in Lausanne where they had this exhibition. The entrance was covered by this wonderful Swiss pass that I got before coming here. Strongly recommended. There are many things that come to mind when you confront the work of people like him. Firstly, it is the output in terms of sheer volume and quality. Another great thing about him is that he was fully engaged in the problems of his times including politics and economy. He was a great fighter for rights, and was an activist for the abolition of capital punishment. I guess I cannot provide a biography of this great person here, but all in all he is very impressive indeed.

No comments: