Friday, May 16, 2008

Longing for home...

I often say that I will be compiling various laws of life according to my friend and colleague, Diptiman Sen. Some of these meta-laws include a computation on which day to go to the bank, e.g., not a day before a public holiday, and not a day after, one should try Wednesdays and Thursdays provided it is not very early in the month, and so on and so forth. Other pithy sayings would also have to be recorded carefully for posterity. However, here is some correspondence on longing for home...I post the 2 messages in succession. The second one was in response to asking if it is ok to post his message on this blog.
---
M1

Dear Anant,

Nothing better than one's homeland as one gets older. Here is a line from the Mahabharat: a crane (actually Dharma dressed as a crane) asks Yudhistir, who's a happay man. Yudhistir replies: one who at the end of the day has dinner in his homeland in his own home. The crane gives him an S grade for this answer.

Best regards,

Diptiman
---
M2

Dear Anant,

You are most welcome to cut/paste my message on your blog. However be warned that all the details may be wrong. I tried to find it on the web just now and failed. The closest I came to it was an episode called the Yaksha Prashna but it said something else about who is a happy man. So maybe I am remembering some other episode.

Best regards,

Diptiman

2 comments:

gaddeswarup said...

I remember a 'story' of a conversation between Yama and Narada and wonder where I got it from. On one of his tours, Narada watched people subject to various tortures in hell. As far as he could see they did not seem to be unhappy but it seemed more like 'business as usual'. When he expressed his surprise to Yama, Yama responded by saying that people get used to any thing and go on with their lives (some such thing).
Of course, this may be a distortion of some story that I heard ( I find that even lyrics are transformed after a while un my memory) but I cannot find any thing resemling it by google search. It is also possible, it may be an interpretation of some performer in one of the harikatha kalakshepams I used to attend as a kid.

Anant said...

Dear Swarup,

Thanks for your comment. This is real fun stuff!

Kaani e majja hari katha kalakshepamulu anaga nemi ani mana pillau antaremo?

Best regards, Anant